Beeswax is widely available, easy to apply, natural, and can enhance the natural look of solid wood furniture, making it a popular choice to finish wood. However, is beeswax really a good choice for your solid wood furniture? The answer to this is not a simple yes or no. There are various pros and cons to consider when deciding, but it is ultimately up to you, depending on your preferences and needs.
Is beeswax good to use on furniture?
Beeswax is a natural finish derived from organic products. As a result, it does not contain the chemicals found in other finishing products and smells much better than the chemical odour produced by other products. Other pros of using beeswax on furniture include:
- Beeswax accentuates the natural colours of the wood in a way that other finishing products cannot compare to.
- Beeswax is widely available and relatively inexpensive, making it an easy option. Additionally, many DIY options are available to make your own beeswax polishes.
- Beeswax is food-safe, so it is an excellent choice for eating surfaces, including wooden dishes and utensils.
How often should you use beeswax on furniture?
Hardwoods such as Walnut, Oak and Mahogany should be treated regularly with Beeswax three of four times a year. This will keep the wood in best condition. Beeswax is easy to apply-requiring only a clean rag and polish.
Can beeswax damage wood?
Sanding and solvents cause the beeswax to penetrate deeper into the wood, making it difficult to remove. Beeswax repels most other stains and varnishes, so it can be incredibly difficult to resurface solid wood furniture once it has sunk into the wood. In addition:
- Beeswax creates a soft finish, offering little protection against scratches.
- Beeswax finishing wears down quickly, so it needs to be reapplied regularly. This extra work can be a significant drawback for those with a busy lifestyle.
Ultimately, using beeswax has benefits and drawbacks that must be considered carefully. Some things to consider include:
- Do you need a scratch-resistant finishing product?
- Does it look the way you want?
- Do you care about using natural products instead of chemicals?
- Do you like the way it looks?
- Are you willing to put in the time to re-finish the wood when necessary?
Looking to add to your house with custom solid wood furniture? Visit us in person or contact us online. We would be happy to help you!